The Cathedral stands in the heart of the medieval city. Originally the Royal Palace for the Kings of Thomond, it was gifted to the Church in 1168.
The Cathedral was built where the palace of the late King of Munster, Donal Mór O’Brien once stood. During the last eight centuries, it has witnessed invasions, sieges, battles, wars, famine, unrest and times of great peace.
Saint Mary’s is an extraordinarily complex building representing developments from the mid-twelfth century to the later twentieth century – a treasure of Irish religious art.
Amongst other things, see the lepers squint, the medieval misericords, the Pearse reredos, the beautiful brass candelabra, the wonderful stained glass and the grounds, which overlook the River Shannon.